A Word About The Quality Of My Sound Files


I make no apology for the sound files not being as perfect as they might be, especially those converted from vinyl. I do not possess the technical know-how to reduce unwanted noise, hiss, etc. I certainly have the software (e.g. Gold Wave) but not the knowledge about what settings to use. If anyone can point me in the right direction, please feel free to enlighten me.

Wednesday 16 February 2011

URIAH HEEP - BACKSTAGE GIRL


Whilst I will continue to buy "everything Heep" and be thankful for the wonderful legacy they have left rock music, my opinion of the band members diminishes with each passing year.

I have never known a group have so many compilations issued, often under for the most tenuous of reasons (this anniversary, that anniversary, to include this new track, that new track). I used to think it was the record company's usual, money-grabbing ploy (i.e. re-issue the hits with one new song), but then I realised that the band themselves must be a party to it, judging by the number of times they re-recorded the old chestnuts.

Even the most die-hard Uriah Heep fan must baulk at the number of times they have re-recorded Gypsy, July Morning, Lady In Black, The Wizard et al (you know the rest). All for what? A new song that usually pales in comparison to former glories? Thank you Heep, you're too kind. If they REALLY wanted to please their fans, they would make more of an effort to make each release entirely made up of new songs!

The song "Backstage Girl" is one of the best of the Pete Goalby era. Whilst countless compilations (and even a few lavish box and book sets) have boasted about "uncovering rarities" and "tying up loose ends", this one still remains unissued digitally. It exists on the "Rockarama" 12" single and nowhere else.

I have often pondered over whether it is deliberate, to deny Pete Goalby royalties? It is no secret that Heep themselves think that Bernie Shaw is their career-defining vocalist. They were always quick to proclaim him as their longest lasting singer, even at times when his recording output was an album every "x" years (compared to Byron's 9 albums in 6 years!).... and we won't get into which era their current set-list still draws most heavily from.

So - now is the time for a Backstage gem not to take a Backseat any longer!

If you want to hear what it sounds like, click here